Wednesday, September 24, 2014


Anthony McCarty-Multimedia Artist




What is the theme of your work?
I like to work in neutral universal themes, I am currently layering multiples of colored arrows, iconic representations of individuals within a whole. Each one is unique to itself but similar to all the others. I think of a flocks of birds, molecules in water, or cars on a highway, any massive amount of individual items in motion. The arrows are symbolic of this, with various sizes, colors and direction. There is a conversation with each individual arrow, and when put together it adds an additional layer of conversation. I choose to work in pastels and secondary colors in attempt to avoid pre-contextual influences that are often associated with primary colors. Take red for example, this color carries with it a variety of different spiritual, emotional and political meanings all over the world. I avoid colors like these in order to allow the viewer to approach a piece in it’s own time and place.
What inspires you to do your work?
Artists like Jasper Johns, Sol Lewitt, Takashi Murakami and Ray and Charles Eames always get me all kinds of exited! Murakami’s overwhelming use of color and multiples blow me away. I’ve always been interested in symbolism and neutrality, and this has driven me to make work that attempts to free itself from pre-context. The arrow is as universal of a form as I have come across so far. They’re iconic and I can change the scale and change the color while keeping the proportional dimensions the same.
What are your goals for your work?
Making artwork has put me on such an interesting path. Basically I don’t have a direction for my work, it is directing me. The trick is releasing myself to it with trust and dedication. Just in the act of doing it and pursuing it, it gives me a reason to live in a place like Bozarts, move to New York City, get involved with my community and collaborate with all kinds of amazing people. Had I not decide to pursue art making as life goal I don’t know that I would be able to push myself into all these experiences. It’s taken me to all sorts of incredible places in my life, so the question is where will it take me next? Currently, I am finishing up this body of work and assembling my portfolio in order to apply for exhibitions outside of Toledo.
What are your thoughts on the Toledo arts scene?
It’s still young and evolving. Because of this, it is more open and laid back than other bigger cities with more established art scenes. I like Toledo, it’s accessible and it allows artists an opportunity to have their work be seen. There are a lot of passionate people involved, there is a strong sense of community. One of the biggest advantages to being an artist in Toledo is that you can live here for cheap which enables you to focus on your artwork. There’s not a huge city out there rushing you, you can take your time, you can get things done, you can get your work done. I lived in New York but I could never get any art finished because I was too busy working just to pay rent and survive. This is a good home base, and if I want to travel to larger markets and sell my work there, then I can.
























No comments:

Post a Comment