Tuesday, April 1, 2014


Dominic Cooper


This series aims to show Toledo, and people elsewhere, some of the great artists living in the city.

Dominic Cooper-Tattoo Artist and Painter

What is the main motivation for making your paintings?

I get inspired by other people’s work that I see and it motivates me to create something that I can hang on my wall and look at everyday. I enjoy the process of drawing and painting, and a lot of times it’s more important to me than the finished product.

What is the main theme of your paintings?

A big theme of my paintings is related to the tattooing work I do-life and death themes, mythology, birds, flowers, etc. Basically, all the tattoo work that I’ve been exposed to gets filtered through my point of view and comes out in my paintings. I’m also influenced a lot by Asian art.

What are your goals for your work?

To make myself happy, to create something that I want to hang on the wall and look at, but also to make other people happy. If other people like it, and appreciate it, especially those whose work I admire, then that’s a bonus. But really, the goal is to be able to walk through my apartment and see the work that I’ve created.

What are your thoughts on the Toledo arts scene?

I think it’s awesome. I think there are a ton of super-talented artists who live here, and I think there are lots of people who work hard at creating and promoting events that help get artists recognized-Maker's Mart, Artomatic, etc. There is also a lot of support from people in town, who appreciate and buy things handmade by Toledo artists.






No comments:

Post a Comment