Tuesday, April 1, 2014


Julie Draeger


This series aims to show Toledo, and people elsewhere, some of the great artists living in the city.

Julie Draeger-Painter

What is the main motivation for making your work?

It’s something I’m driven to do. Sometimes I struggle to do it, sometimes it flows, it’s like a game with no set of rules, it just needs to be what it is.

What is the major theme of your work?

The theme of my work is evolution because my work is evolving from my typical themes of still life and landscapes to nonobjective art. Presently, I’ve abandoned everything I’ve known about art making except for basic principles and elements so I’ve really simplified and gotten down to the basics of expression. I’ve recently retired from teaching art at a high school, and I feel like my personal work is exploding in new ways.

What are your goals for your work?

I would like to say something with my work that could bring happiness to other people. I want to share what I have inside me through my work. I feel like I have some small anecdote that could help make the world a better place. I know this is a big, big idea, but I think I can do it in a small way and still be effective. 

What are your thoughts on the Toledo arts scene?

The Toledo art scene is happening, but it still needs a lot of support. I think only certain artists have gotten the majority of the attention, so more focus need to be put on those artists that are on the fringe. There are many artists in Toledo that people don’t know about.




No comments:

Post a Comment