Tuesday, April 1, 2014


Jan Thomas


What is the motivation for making your work?

What motivates me to make my work is a desire to communicate, a communication that I do better with my hands than with my words. I found out an early age that I was not talented in a two-dimensional way but in a three-dimensional way. Also, after having a career in interior design and seeing some of the way people design their homes, I’ve been motivated to make original work. I’m rejecting the contrived and the reproduced. If you look around, the market is flooded with these kinds of things. I aim to make original, imperfect work, that has meaning.

What is the main theme of your work?

A big theme of my work is nature. I also portray women in my work, and showing that no matter whether a woman is short, fat, thin, tall, she needs to be happy with herself. Women feel pressured to be attractive to men, and I’m trying to show that women, foremost, need to be comfortable with themselves. I also like to portray fish and flowers and these themes relate to nature. Flowers are a huge theme in my work, because flowers are present in life from birth to death. You give flowers at births, at weddings, at funerals, at many milestones in life.

What are your goals for your work?

One of my goals is to get my artwork out of Toledo and into other cities. I also want to get a stronger online presence and to create more public art, namely outdoor sculptures.

What are your thoughts on the Toledo arts scene?

I think Toledo is lucky to have such a strong arts community. Unfortunately, I don’t think that Toledo supports these artists. The best way to support art is to buy art. That way, you can give artists the freedom to continue making their work.











No comments:

Post a Comment