Tuesday, April 1, 2014


Timothy Gaewsky


What is the motivation for making your work?

I enjoy the creative process, spending hours and hours getting lost in the studio, focusing on what I am making. I have this innate desire to create something and to communicate, and the easiest way for me to communicate is through visual means, through my artwork.

What is the main theme of your work?

My work is an examination of a desire for instant gratification that is often seen in the world- what makes us want to satisfy that desire of instant gratification, where we act on our impulses to either buy something or that desire for quick fortune. I’ve been curious to that which I’ve been victim to as well, being an impulse buyer-and I think a lot of is due to the way packaging is designed-the formal aesthetics of the bright colors, the text, the visual means that is able to catch someone’s eye get them to buy the product. For example, the lottery tickets that I use in some of my pieces inspire the pieces themselves- the color scheme, and design aesthetic-bold colors and shapes to draw the viewer into the work. Also, because the viewer cannot themselves scratch off the tickets, this denial of the impulse is making them aware of that impulse in the first place.

What are your goals for your work?

My goal is to communicate ideas to the viewer. I would love to be a working artist and to be able to make a living from my work, but realistically making the work and getting it out there is the most important thing-and anything that comes as a result of that is a bonus.

What are your thoughts on the Toledo arts scene?

It’s definitely been growing in the 5 years since I’ve been here. There are a number of talented artists in Toledo. I would love it if more artists moved here and if more galleries opened. It’s a great community here, people really support each other.

You can check out more of his work at:http://timothygaewsky.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment