Tuesday, April 1, 2014


Kacey McCreery-Glass Artist


What is the main motivation for making your work?

Mostly for myself. It’s a way to keep me sane and allows me to express myself.

What is a major theme of your work?

As glass is often viewed in vessel form, I view our bodies as a vessel of life-structural and strong, yet fragile and delicate. Glass relates in very close proximity to life for me, and vice versa. My life has strongly influenced my glasswork and my time with glass over the last 9 years has deeply influenced my life. In 2009, I donated a kidney to an amazing woman-a close family friend. Since my surgery, I have realized that the act of cutting and polishing glass is analogous for the process of being wounded and then healing. After glass or a human body is cut into-they are left rough and raw, but with time and careful attention they can both be brought back to their original state. The bodies natural healing process and polishing glass are both time consuming processes that require patience and a sound mind and body.

What are your goals for your work?

As a young and emerging artist right now I’m just trying to make enough money to continue blowing glass because its not cheap. Eventually I’ll have bigger goals than that but now I just need to make enough money to keep doing it.

What are your thoughts on the Toledo arts scene?

Specifically as a glass artist Toledo is fantastic. The resources are amazing, there are a lot of young and excited artists like in this studio Gathered-it was built a year and a half ago, it's flourishing and I’m super proud of the artists that made it happen.

Check out more of Kacey"s work at http://www.kaceymccreery.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment