Tuesday, April 1, 2014


Jane Kessler Petitjean


What is the motivation for making your paintings?

Most of my paintings are very colorful, so I feel a need to bring color to people’s lives, making the world, I believe, a more beautiful place. I have this need to create joyful and uplifting imagery.

What is the main theme of your paintings?

Color. Though I like to use religious imagery that is Judaic in nature, I don’t work exclusively this theme. I also like exploring the human form, human ideas, as well as using animals in some of my imagery-especially flamingos. Flamingos to me represent diversity and I love that I live in such a diverse neighborhood like the Old West End. I love that art is a great way to express different subject matter and to celebrate diversity.

What are your goals for your work?

My main goal is to leave a legacy for my children and grandchildren. As I get older, I realize that I have less time to make artwork, so I’d like to concentrate on work that I can leave behind and that can communicate a strong message, especially about Judaic traditions, and that will hopefully explain something about the culture that my family comes from.

What are your thoughts on the Toledo arts scene?

I love the Toledo Art Scene. I think it’s very inclusive, and I think we have a dynamic arts commission that does wonderful things for the community. I also appreciate that the Toledo Arts Museum is becoming more involved in the community. This is a great place to be as an artist.

Check out more of Jane's work at http://www.janepetitjean.com./




No comments:

Post a Comment