Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Josh Byers



What is the motivation for making your paintings?

I work in masonry, and after a day of doing hard labor, making art is a way for me to clear my head, a release from all the shit I’ve dealt with all day. Without art, I don’t know what I’d do. It’s my form of entertainment-it’s what drives and motivates me all day. It’s what I think about when I go to sleep-what else do I need to do to finish a certain piece, to get it to where people know what it’s about. I try to work every day, always trying to produce, trying to make stuff. It’s a perpetual motion. It’s the machine inside my head that never stops.

What is the main theme of your paintings?

A lot of my paintings are self-portraits, symbolic self-portraits. They’re representational-representing the strain I put my body through at work, money, doubts, the general pain and stress of everyday living. I’m putting myself out there with my paintings, they’re self-narratives.

What are your goals for your work?

Every show I have I just want to blast people with a really strong body of work. I want to show strong imagery, paintings on the wall, and have people feel something after they walk away from one of my shows. Like they could relate to it, almost like they were inside my head while I was making it. 

What are your thoughts on the Toledo arts scene?

The scene here is growing, but I wish there were more non-artists who attended shows. But besides that, the art scene is very supportive. It was easy for me to get started here. When I moved from Akron to Toledo, I drove in with a truck full of paintings and passed right by Bozarts. I talked to Jerry and got things going pretty quickly.

Check out more of Josh’s work at http://60wattfunnel.com./







No comments:

Post a Comment