Tuesday, April 1, 2014


Ivan Kende


What is the main motivation for your paintings?

I’ve never done anything else. It’s inconceivable for me not to do artwork. It’s what I know. It’s a meditation, both mental and physical, it’s a movement that I feel inside of myself, and then need to get it out on canvas and paper.

What is the main theme of your paintings?

The drawings of the Lascaux caves in France have greatly inspired my recent work. Of course I learned about these caves way back in art school, but it was only in the last two years that I’ve gotten inspiration from them for my work. I love the simple lines, the intention and accuracy of gesture of the drawings, the rawness of expression. I find it fascinating to think of what instincts drove early humans from making marks and scratches on rocks to making the magical animal portraits at Lascaux. Inspired by the cave drawings, I aim to use the same archetypal, naive, and primitive aesthetics as a means to narrate my interpretation of the world around us.

What are your goals for your work?

I am going to eventually exhibit this body of work, and hopefully sell some pieces. I hope the viewer will see the rawness of emotion of the primitive aesthetics I’ve been using in my work.

What are your thoughts on the Toledo arts scene?

Frankly, I am always working in my studio and so don’t get out that much.

Check out more of Ivan's work at http://www.ivankende.com/







No comments:

Post a Comment